Diastasis Recti

So maybe you've heard of it! Maybe you haven't; 
If you have had a few kiddos or even one you may be aware that it is a split in your adominal wall. I have came across several new mommas that have no idea what I am talking about and I wanted to make sure I got the word out there!!! It is SO SO important to work on your pelvic floor and abdominal wall muscles after having a baby; and if your are thinking Sit Ups...STOP!! 
That is the worse thing for it and can actually make it way worse! 

I have been working on mine via yoga, and these exercises that I started about 2 weeks postpartum: 

http://www.fortybyfortyfitness.com/exercises-for-diastasis-recti/

It also tells you how to see if you do have an abdominal separation. 

Half way through my yoga challenge and I have to say the abs are making an appearance! My Diastasis Reci started out as a 2.5 finger split is now only a 1.5 split. Progress! It's SUPER important to take it easy on your abs and build them back correctly after pregnancy. If your core muscles are weak that results in poor posture, back pain, and can effect everyday movements if you aren't careful! 



I am really focusing on my core this time around after pregnancy as it feels weaker than it did with the first, but seeing as my children are only 18 months apart it probably caused to be a bit 'looser' if you know what I'm saying! 

Anyhow, check out that article; if you have more questions please don't hesitate to ask! Yoga has helped me SO much with my core and I highly recommended it if you are trying to heal yours! 



Comments

Popular Posts